About Procter Street Furniture
Procter Bros History
The Procter Bros. business was originally established in 1740 by William Varley, with the business of today operating 5 separate divisions - Machine Guarding, Procter Contracts, Procter Supplies and Cast Stone. In all its businesses, Procter Bros. aims to combine the best aspects of traditional craftsmanship and care for its customers and employees, with up to date technology and production methods.
Procter Street Furniture is a division of Procter Contracts, we are able to supply and install street furniture and specialise in bespoke projects. We frequently carry out installations on projects requiring a mix of street furniture, fencing, barriers, railings or Gates. We are equally happy to work with Architects, Contractors and end users. Applications includes sites for Local Authorities, Supermarkets, Hospitals, etc. Many of our customers find the service of dealing with a single provider works well for them and helps to co-ordinate the site programme as well as providing cost-effective.During the 18th and 19th centuries the business was mainly involved in the manufacture of a wide range of agricultural and domestic wire products from a number of small factories in Yorkshire.
The trading name of Procter Bros was introduced in 1884 by John and Charles Procter, and it was under their control that the company really started to develop its identity as specialist wire workers. The company today is managed by John’s great grandsons Jeremy Procter and his great great grandson, also called John Procter.
With the outbreak of the First World War the company had gained considerably in stature and was involved in numerous government contracts, one particular instance being the supply of strong woven wire for use as a bomb proof guard over the roof of Buckingham Palace. During the Second World War output was dramatically changed with the company supplying the military with parts for Bailey Bridges, parachute frames, and special wire mesh suitable for aircraft landing strips in sandy or marshy locations and fencing for virtually all the country’s aerodromes. A factory was established in Cardiff and later moved to it’s current site at Bedwas.
After the war the company reverted to its pre-war manufacturing base, supplying both the retail and industrial sectors through the fifties and into the early sixties.
In the mid sixties the business was restructured to concentrate exclusively on the specialist fencing and machine guarding sectors of the industry.
Today from its sites in Garforth, near Leeds and Bedwas in South Wales, the company is a market leader with it’s nationwide services that integrate the best of traditional skills with the latest techniques and services.
Prestigious contracts in recent years include the railings and ornamental gates of Kensington Palace and major guarding projects for the London Underground Jubilee Lines and in the USA for Ingersoll’s Chrysler project.
Still very much a family firm Procter Bros recognizes the need to develop it’s products markets and staff to meet the challenges of global business and to secure the future success of the business.